Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Well I haven't done much over the last week that is worth writing about except start class! I am taking 4 classes here at UC and am still in the midst of making sure everything is all good with UT. I am meeting with my abroad adviser this afternoon to make sure everything I am taking is ok, and hopefully I will hear back from UT tomorrow with the same news.

Classes here are way different than back at home. For instance, I have no finals and am technically done with classes at the end of October. I am not complaining at all about this! My grades are determined by a combination of essays, participation in tutorials (like labs) and a few presentations. No exams! I think I like being a pass/fail only student. I am giving my first presentation in 2 weeks for my political communication class about "The CNN effect and communication in advanced technological times." I feel like I have the upper hand on this one and have already began work on it. And for it being my senior(ish) year, working on something that far ahead is a huge deal!

My days are basic and consisting of class in the mornings, meeting friends for a run around the lake an sometimes lunch at an on-campus cafe and then some sort of social activity in the evenings. I'm not a huge fan of being out late-especially since it is cold, so I have spent several nights in mine or Ayla's room watching 30 Rock and Entourage:) We went out for sushi last night with some girls from her floor who have a car!

The girls and I also took a bus into Civic last Saturday and walked to the Botanical Gardens, which were breathtaking. We had a little picnic by the waterfall and spent the afternoon walking on paths through the "Australian temperate rainforest." We also went briefly to the Australian National Museum. It was nearly closing time when we got there, so a return trip is definitley in order soon. I love museums...and especially free ones!

My 3 favorite things about Canberra:
-being able to walk to almost everything
-living on campus again is glorious and I can wake up 30 minutes before class
-breakfast and coffee at Lighthouse...omelettes, mmmmm!

3 things I do NOT like:
-the shower in my dorm. Strongly dislike.
-there is trash everywhere
-smoking everywhere. The smoking ban really got me spoiled

That's all for now. I am having great fun and am going to surf camp this weekend! I will be sure and write all about it when I get back on Sunday!