Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

the Far Side of the World

Bethany has been telling me to update this for quite awhile now, and since I am leaving for Australia in 14 hours (coincidentally also the length of my flight to Sydney) I thought it was probably time!

Well mates, I will be heading out for the far side of the world at 4:05 from Knoxville and then go to Atlanta, LA and then Sydney! I am staying in Sydney on Saturday and then flying to Canberra on Sunday morning. I begin Orientation stuff on Monday and begin class the following Monday, the 20th. Between getting settled, figuring out campus and learning my way around-which will be a grand task in itself-I am expecting (and hoping) for not a lot of downtime.

I have never before had a problem being away from home. Starting in 1995 at age 8 when I started going to church camp, then Girl Scout camp, several cheerleading camps (suppress laughter, please) class trips, sleepovers, Girl's State in high school, living in the dorm-I can count on one hand the number of times I have gotten homesick. I have no problem at all doing things by myself: eating, driving, sitting, studying, watching movies, trips...you get the idea, so what is it about this particular trip that has me all anxious and being a crybaby?

I think it's the fact that even though is after midnight and technically the day I leave-it STILL doesn't seem real. This is something I have been playing up in my mind since last fall and now it is upon me! I've got my passport, visa, flight, toothbrush...I'm good to go!

I'll update often as soon as I get moved in and everything set up!

14 hours on a plane, good thing I have crosswords and SuDoKus