Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

don't use the glossary in the travel books

Hello again from Canberra! We have a high of 55 today, which is nicer than it has been, so I might be able to leave a few layers behind!

Oh, and as for the title of this post-there is a story. Yesterday afternoon, Ayla and I took our travel guidebooks over to the Lighthouse, a restaurant near campus to sit outside and plan weekend trips. We ended up going through coffee and chips (fries) and spending almost 4 hours talking, planning and enjoying the day. When it got colder, we moved inside and set up shop on a table. After 2 people stopping to ask if we were already studying, one Australian asked if he could see our books. He looked through the glossary and proceeded to inform us that if we used about 80% of the words and expressions in the book we would sound like old rednecks. Thanks, Lonely Planet. Crikey!

I have been here just over a week and am in MUCH better shape than I was a week ago. I have made a great group of friends to run around and travel with, I am learning where things are and how to use the busses and have not been sick to my stomach, woken up at 3am or felt like I wanted to cry for probably 3 days!

I just want to take the time now so say this: whatever picture of Australia you have in your head as you are reading this, ERASE IT. Because almost guaranteed, unless you have been here, you are picturing the wrong Australia because I don't go to school in the Outback, by the Opera House or on the beach. Canberra is inland in the Australia Capital Territory (ACT) state, right next to New South Wales (NSW) in southeast Australia. Until the end of August/beginning of September it is WINTER! Although there are kangaroos that come onto campus, I haven't seen one yet because it still is pretty chilly in the daytime. The only other animals I have seen are a bunch or very loud, very colorful birds and a HUGE possum that looked like a cat.

That being said, campus is really nice. There are trees and greenery everywhere and it feels a bit like going to school in a jungle. The school buildings are numbered-which I like-and it is considerably easier to navigate than UTK. Lake Grinderra is right off campus, near the mall and restaurants, and it is really pretty (although not for swimming)! There is a path circling the lake which is about 8-9 miles and is a great run.

Annnnnd running leads me to say that myself, Ayla, Bridget and Amanda are running in the City 2 Surf run in Sydney on August 9! It's a 14k run that starts at Hyde Park in Sydney and ends on Bondi Beach! We are all really excited and got matching neon-colored tank tops, kneesocks and fake, colored hair! Apparently people get pretty into it so we wanted to fit in! We got a super cheap bus ticket there and are going to stay in the city on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and the race is on Sunday!

Sooner than that is surf camp on the 31st! It is going to be pretty chilly, but I'm thinking that the experience of a bunch of novice exchange students learning how to surf will be so worth it!

I have met so many friendly and helpful people since being here. I think that once I get into a routine of class on during the week and maybe working, and traveling on the weekends that the time will absolutley fly by. Classes begin today, but I don't have class on Mondays or Fridays! I can't wait to start heading off after classes on Thursdays and having great, Australian adventures with my friends!